Blue Ridge Court and Restaurant

Blueridge CourtThe building just south of Fancy Gap was operated by C.D. Phillips as the Blue Ridge Court and Restaurant. It was built in the early days of the Blue Ridge Parkway and closed in the 1950's when they built a newer motel at the Parkway exit in Fancy Gap, Virginia, which is still in operation today as the Mountain Top Motel. The bubbling stream and waterfall that used to run thru the water wheel are still a popular photo op for many who travel up the mountain via Hwy 52. The building is privately owned and has sadly sat empty for many years.

History of Fancy Gap

A Special Thanks to Ron Hall for his contribution

The history of Fancy Gap is inextricably linked to roadways since it has long been a major passageway between Western North Carolina and Southwestern Virginia.  The original settlement, reportedly called “Foggy Camp” by the Indians, was actually located a bit further to the west than it is today.

Read more...